Saturday 27 April 2013

Anzac Biscuits

It's been a while, and I must admit it's a very gentle return, as there's not much here that's new. Though I'm actually not convinced I have made Anzac biscuits before (!!) so it was a little something different for me. Thursday was Anzac Day in New Zealand and Australia, the day when we remember those members of the Australia New Zealand Army Corps who fought and died at Gallipoli in World War 1, and indeed all who have died fighting on behalf of our countries in many wars.



And as well as having a holiday, we have a biscuit. Anzac biscuits. I say all this really for any international readers, as the rest of you know them like you know pavlovas and buzzy bees. So let's just get down to business. And pictures...






Having never made these before I had to find a recipe from somewhere and there is certainly no shortage of them around. After all the recent enthusiastic Annabel Langbein talk in my life I decided not to muck around and chose to use her recipe - hopefully a guarantee for success. I would say, with all due respect, that she has mucked around a bit with the original recipe, and added sultanas and nuts, none of which I believe belong in a true Anzac biscuit. So I've gone back to basics in the version below.

They came out soft and chewy and I think I prefer them hard and crispy, so next time I'll try pressing them a bit flatter before baking. How do you prefer yours? And do you like them unadulterated or with additions?





Anzac Biscuits

1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut
60g butter
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1 tablespoon water
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Heat the butter, golden syrup and water together until the butter melts and add the soda.
Mix the dry ingredients together, then stir the wet to the dry. Roll in to balls (approx 12) and press down with the back of a fork or your fingers.

 Bake at 160 degrees for 12 - 15 mins.


I did learn something else new on Thursday. I learnt that Kent's Grandmother, Win, would have turned 100 that day if she were still alive. I saw a photo of her recently and have been wondering about what she was like and what bits of her can be seen in our children.

Let's never forget our Grandmothers, Grandfathers, and all those who have had an impact on our lives. I'm sure we won't.




3 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of the taste of Anzac biscuits - I think it's the coconut - so I don't make them. Sultanas are also not on my baking agenda, so I wouldn't go the Annabel way myself.

    Inspired by Lou's recipe for ginger oat biscuits, though, I have regularly made a sort of Anzac-without-coconut biscuit that's strong on ginger, cinnamon, mixed spice and rolled oats, with a goldeny base like Anzacs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I didn't know this about your baking preferences. I quite like coconut and I LOVE sultanas in baking so beware of my baking tins!

      Delete
  2. oh I have always loved Anzac biscuits and haven't eaten them in years. When I first came to the US I remember trying to make them once and came across the problem that there is no golden syrup to be found here.. so substituted with a yucky looking syrup called Karo.. but it wasn't the same! enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.