Thursday 8 November 2012

Quick update, sweet.

It's been great to hear from so many of you on the terrifying topic of sugar. I can see there is a surging wave of panic on the topic of baking. But remember we are doing some serious work on sugar alternatives, not total elimination of anything sweet. I'm finding xylitol a really good alternative in all my baking so far, except that it doesn't give a nice crunch to biscuits.

I have also acquired something called "Sweet Freedom" which I mentioned on our Facebook page but haven't discussed here. No, it's not an artificial sweetener, it's a syrup made from 100% apple, grape and carob extracts. It is not exactly "perfect" but it is a really good alternative to honey, golden syrup and maple syrup, and could probably work as a substitute for condensed milk.



Honey, I am learning, is high in calories and high in fructose. And fructose, I am learning is the bad guy. Really bad. So while honey can also contain vitamins and minerals (and manuka honey has health benefits, so I gather) the calories and the fructose still remain.

The most important news flash of the day is that Agave Syrup is to be avoided at all costs. It contains whoppingly high levels of fructose, way higher than white sugar. A total disaster for those who have been using it as a healthy alternative to sugar.

My original post "Sugar Free Sweetness - Sugar Alternatives" has been updated with this info, and you may like to look there now for more details regarding purchasing Sweet Freedom. (It's great for round the breakfast table isn't it? "Darling, could you pass me some sweet freedom please?")

Meanwhile my chemistry lessons have come to an end, for the moment, and I am working on writing it up for you. If only I didn't need any sleep. I'll keep working. You keep thinking.

8 comments:

  1. Darn, I was banking on the fact that I could eat as much honey as I wanted! No jam, no honey... what's a girl to do for her sweet treat! PLEASE don't tell me that dried fruit is a no go!!! Well, it's a good think you are doing some hard work on all this, I would have quite happily gone on being oblivious. Well done you, keep the lessons coming xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I missed this update. My little man loves honey. I'll have to stop offering it to him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the topic of Sweet Freedom, I have so far had three baking fails using it in place of sugar (in a sponge, some brownies and flapjacks - where I tried to use it to replace both the sugar and the syrup...) but have found it to be fine on porridge and used instead of honey when baking bananas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I totally lack the motivation to try and use it instead of dry sugar - despite the mathematical gymnastics you gave me regarding conversion. I think it has its place but is not the total answer. But having a place is a good part of the answer...

      Delete
  4. Have you tried baking with dextrose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a-HA! Nice work Frank. I am beavering away with it at the moment, and am due to report back. It's going fairly well. Have you tried it?

      Delete
    2. No I haven't, just seen it on a blog I follow: http://www.cravingfresh.com/2012/10/grain-free-chocolate-brownie-recipe.html
      I'm interested to know how you go. I've tried xylitol and ended up with chocolate flavoured car tyres. Gross.

      Delete
    3. How funny - that's where I got the idea too. Just as I was watching The Bitter Truth, so it all made sense!
      Not at all funny about the xylitol though, I'm gutted. It has worked well for me so far and I am quite a fan. I can imagine brownies being fussy things though.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.