Friday 24 August 2012

Roasted Chickpeas

I have been starting to think about healthy snacks recently. I eat a huge amount when feeding a baby, and it seems to be difficult to find healthy things to reach for at short notice. Lara recently put a comment up on Last Night about roasted chickpeas, and then my Mum sent me a link about the same thing, so I decided it was time to get some in to my cupboards. I was also hopeful that Reuben would enjoy them, and perhaps even Esther, who is munching on all kinds of exciting foods nowadays.

The first time I tried this I found the chickpeas a bit too overdone and crunchy for my liking - I wanted them to retain some of their softness on the inside with crunch on the outside. So I turned the oven down a little and shaved off some time, but you may like to experiment a bit to get the level of crunch that you prefer. I went for healthy options for seasoning too, so as not to ruin my original intentions, but I can see that adding something salty would be tempting. Plenty of herbs is a very satisfying alternative though. I also realised once they were cooked that a 10 month old is far better snacking on un-roasted, well rinsed chickpeas straight from the can, but she'll catch up with us before long.

Roasted Chickpeas

1 can (390g) Chickpeas
1 tablespoon oil
drizzle of lemon juice
shake of oregano and thyme
(try also garlic salt, chilli powder, cayenne pepper, moroccan spices, rosemary...)

Wash the chickpeas and dry well with a teatowel.
Toss them in the oil and seasonings.
Bake at 200 degrees for 25 minutes (or longer and hotter for more crunch).














3 comments:

  1. Hm, I commented on this a couple of days ago but it's not here - sorry about that. What I said was something like:

    The beautiful photography and you doing all the leg-work means these finally seem both doable and worthwhile - I've been sort of meaning to make them for ages. Fabulous, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's an interesting recipe, I'll have to try it someday soon. I think I even have all the ingredients in the cupboards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really must try this! I came very close as had half a can of chickpeas leftover from one dinner and had seen this suggestion here on Last night. Didn't get round to it though and threw them out eventually!! Such a waste. Now you've added your suggestions/experimentations, I really must give it a go.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.