Tuesday 17 July 2012

Chocolate Pudding in ya Mug


I think I am grateful to a friend who kindly sent me a link to a quick chocolate cake in a mug recipe late one night when it was just the sort of thing I needed. If you haven't come across this before I warn you now, it's dangerous knowledge if you are inclined to "need" chocolate pudding on a regular basis. The main point being that it is cooked in the microwave and it all happens so fast that it's on the plate (in the mug) in front of you before you can question whether or not it really is a good idea.

It's a very simple recipe, and this blog is not about the simple (for me) stuff. Mixing flour, sugar, cocoa etc is not a new challenge. However I felt I could make some improvements to the recipe I was using, so had a bit of a play and think this result is pretty good. I took out the egg, added baking powder and a little more liquid, added some chopped chocolate and reduced the whole thing so that it really could cook in a normal size mug, and fit in a normal size stomach. Not bad for a novice recipe fiddler. Remember, this is basic chocolate pudding cooked in the microwave, so aim your expectations at a reasonable level, but you can be eating it within 5 minutes of thinking about it so it has its merits.

Chocolate Pudding in a Mug

3 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons milk
2 1/2 tablespoons oil
Drop of vanilla (optional)
A few chunks of chopped chocolate (optional)

Mix the dry ingredients. Stir in the wet. Add the chocolate.
Cook on full power in the microwave for 1 and a half minutes (in an 1100 watt microwave) or a little longer if needed.


Don't even think about sifting the dry ingredients. Just be approximate with the half measures if you like. Grease the mug if you want to slide the pudding out nicely on to another dish, but neither the greasing nor the sliding out are very necessary. The chocolate is optional but the added moisture makes a big difference. Try a blob of jam dropped in to the middle just before cooking instead of or as well as the chocolate chunks. Serve with cream or yoghurt. Or icecream, or milk, or whatever you like.




13 comments:

  1. Would you believe I have never actually made it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I have a brownie recipe I like to make on a whim when I've got cravings, which I divide by 3, rather roughly. This looks sameish, but great to have proper measurements!
    Guess what I'll be doing later tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made it twice now :)

    We have run out of white flour so I sifted wholemeal flour, and it actually made it really delicious - kind of nutty, like nutella had been added.

    I make it straight into a bowl, and then nuke it for around 50 secs, watching it closely to get the perfect balance of cooked and gooey. Nyum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mm, yes, I like these ideas. There's an awful lot of experimenting to be done.

      Delete
  4. Grandad's privilege - had this last night actually in a mug, made by the editor of this fine blog. With whipped cream. The deeper you dug the more gooey it got - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We got emailed this recipe several years ago and it was titled 'the most dangerous chocolate cake recipe ever'! it has proved too true. My husband loves this and I'm a wee bit ashamed to admit we have made this countless times. We've just discovered it's really good if you add cooking chocolate buttons to the mix too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As we speak, I am walking with my laptop into the kitchen to give this a whirl. The one I usually make (yet another version of this recipe) is a bit big but has tendencies to make me eat it all....eek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did it go? And no doubt you ate it all...?

      Delete
  7. just made this tonight and it is so yum! i made it with butter though because i love butter. thanks for a great treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great news! Yes I am a serious butter fan, I'm glad to hear you are too. I used oil just to make it quicker, but am curious now about the taste difference with butter. Next time...

      Delete
  8. Took three mugs of this to a friend's house for lunch - nuked it there. Mmm :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.